Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

MITOP and the Double Bind
  •     I want to elaborate somewhat on the idea of transparent conspiracy (see part 3), lest the idea seem too big to chew.  It is chewable, but it takes a little work.  Even though I have been chewing on it for some time, I am only now arriving at the conclusion, as I pointed out in part 4, that the theory is correct.

First of all, let's give it a name that will itself be more transpaent:  MITOP.  We are familiar with LIHOP (Let It Happen On Purpose) and MIHOP (Made It Happen On Purpose).  Now we have "Made It Transparent On Purpose."

What do so many people now think 9/11 was an inside job?  Because there are so many reasons to think so?  Yes--for all of those reasons, and for one more that not so many people may have thought of:  we are supposed to think so.  The perpetrators, the people on the inside (Orwell's "Inner Party") want us to think so.

http://www.geocities.com/mdmorrissey/logical6.htm

Some key propaganda themes used by the Bush administration to fool the public:

Shared nationalism: For example when a politician says something like "We are winning in Iraq." The use of such a phrase implies that all Americans are on the same team and share the same goals. This simplification is effective because it suggests that political leaders do not have agendas contrary to those of the public.

Conflation: Supporting the civilian command is the same thing as supporting soldiers. Thus, failure to support the civilian command is the same thing as failure to support soldiers.

Authoritarianism: Failure to support the policies of the leaders is indicative of flawed citizenship and/or lack of patriotism.

Did the MITOP effects (Big Lie/double think/Shock and Awe) serve to enhance traditional propaganda themes (ie...propaganda on steroids)? I don't know. My problem with MITOP is that hindsight makes it too easy to suggest it was a brilliant think tank plan that worked better than concealment of complicity ever could. Though it is debatable, one could make the case that the American public was more cynical on 9/11 than they were when JFK was shot. It's also easy to forget how much effort had to be expended (propaganda, controlling leaks and investigations) to maintain the coverup. By coverup I mean the official secrecy and deceit after 9/11 that was primarily intended to keep the truth from the public. Admittedly, this conduct could have had secondary MITOP related benefits. Bottom line: How could the perps know that MITOP wouldn't get out of hand?
  • MinMMinM
    author said:

Did the MITOP effects (Big Lie/double think/Shock and Awe) serve to enhance traditional propaganda themes (ie...propaganda on steroids)? I don't know. My problem with MITOP is that hindsight makes it too easy to suggest it was a brilliant think tank plan that worked better than concealment of complicity ever could. Though it is debatable, one could make the case that the American public was more cynical on 9/11 than they were when JFK was shot. It's also easy to forget how much effort had to be expended (propaganda, controlling leaks and investigations) to maintain the coverup. By coverup I mean the official secrecy and deceit after 9/11 that was primarily intended to keep the truth from the public. Admittedly, this conduct could have had secondary MITOP related benefits. Bottom line: How could the perps know that MITOP wouldn't get out of hand?

Thanks, Tms

My guess would be that since mistakes were made, as could be anticipated, MIHOP tends to look like MITOP. Whatever the case was it seems to have served it's purpose.

To paraphrase Allen Dulles and George Carlin -- Control of the Mass Media equals control of the people.