Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Conspiracy Theory, the original movie
  • ngantngant
    Has anyone ever seen the original VHS movie, "Conspiracy Theory"?  Note that I am not talking about the 1997 remake of the same name, which starred Mel Gibson and Patrick Swazy(as the CIA control officer).  I saw the newer one, it is okay but the new remake seems to delete all references to NASA and the attempts to kill the President (via the Space Shuttle), which was in earlier storyline.

I'm guessing the first movie was made in the late 1980's.

I'd love to have this original movie, I wish I would have copied it when I first rented it many years ago.I think it has a better  plot in the movie than the remake, although mostly follows the same storyline.

• zcopleyzcopley
    Are you sure it was called Conspiracy Theory?  I don't see much at IMDB http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=conspiracy+theory&x=0&y=0.

Zach
  • ngantngant
    Yeah, I know I'm not dreaming this, it was practically the same storyline and plot, except the actors were not anyone I recognized.  There was definitely a little more emphasis on NASA/Space Shuttle.  The title was the same, and I saw this before DVDs were even mainstream.

The newer one, it's not really bad, but it seemed like they cleaned up the NASA stuff a little more.

The only way I can try to find out, it would be to contact the original screenwriter, but they don't give that info out for free.

The whole thing that actually happened with JFK and the original NASA Apollo Programme, it would actually make a decent movie documentary, some of this is public record or at least should be.  Especially I would like to review how NASA, which was deadset against cooperation with a Russian Soyuz mission in 1963 by JFK's personal directive, but suddenly became gung-ho with an Apollo-Soyuz mission under Nixon a decade later. What were these same US anti-communists (like the Washington state rightwinger Congressman Pelly, et. al) doing before and after?
  • DoctornoDoctorno
    I would swear the CT I saw about a month ago, on an old DVD  starred a young Mel Gibson as a cab driver and he was controlled in his earlier days by a sociopathic unfeeling evil headshrinker played by Patrick Stewart who was doing mind control on subjects for the CIA, or an unmentioned agency, and the Woman who saved him was an altruistic lawyer played by Julia Roberts, which almost ruined the movie for me since we know Lawyers aren't altruistic :) 

It's still here somewhere under my stacks of The Spotlight, and other CT subscriptions covering my desk :)
  • ngantngant
    Internet searches don't seem to help in referencing the earlier version.

I am certain that there was an earlier version of the movie of same name.  And I don't think my memory is failing me that bad.
  • DoctornoDoctorno
    I would not be surprised if there were two previous versions, Hollywood being so lazy.