Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Posner on CNBC
  • Did anyone catch Posner on the Kudlow report the other day?  He was being asked his opinion on how he would advise Tiger Woods if he were his attorney.  Mr. Posner said something to the effect that Tiger should come clean and be honest.  Excuse me Mr. Posner, but what would you know about honesty?

What a joke.  He shaved his moustache, so he doesn't look like Daryl Oates anymore.  Tool.
  • author said:

Did anyone catch Posner on the Kudlow report the other day? He was being asked his opinion on how he would advise Tiger Woods if he were his attorney. Mr. Posner said something to the effect that Tiger should come clean and be honest. Excuse me Mr. Posner, but what would you know about honesty?

What a joke. He shaved his moustache, so he doesn't look like Daryl Oates anymore. Tool.

I'd like to see every Nike sweatshop sponsored millionaire "sports star," including Woods, stuffed inside a giant blender, churned into spaghetti sauce, and fed to pigs. Kudlow and Posner could be tossed into the mix as well, although the swine might balk at eating Posner. Did you mean John Oates? Daryl's the other old has been. Sweetness and light, always.  ;)
    -------------------------------------------------------

Tiger Woods' $80M Apology
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1349646915&play=1

• Edit
    What possible business is it of ours what goes on in the Woods household? This is a news diversion and the networks will give it 24/7 coverage until they've milked it for all it's worth. Nancy DisGrace must be having an orgasm over this one... but it has nothing to do with you or me. It's a minor car accident apparently brought on as the result of a domestic dispute... and we don't even know that for sure. The furthest this should get out of the Woods's yard is to the tree that may or may not have been on the neighbor's property. I'm sure Tiger has the money to have any damage repaired and I'm equally sure if we were having a domestic argument with our spouses we would not want the world to be watching. This is their business and theirs alone
    Why do we worry about these things and why are we watching Posner give his worthless two cents? It's this kind of invasive reporting that may have killed Princess Di...always wanting to know what's going on every minute of the day regardless of the right to privacy. There's plenty to watch on the news that should concern us, although it may only be in 60 second clips lest we get too concerned.
    Avert your gaze. These people need to work this out without our help.
  • author said:

What possible business is it of ours what goes on in the Woods household? This is a news diversion and the networks will give it 24/7 coverage until they've milked it for all it's worth. Nancy DisGrace must be having an orgasm over this one... but it has nothing to do with you or me. It's a minor car accident apparently brought on as the result of a domestic dispute... and we don't even know that for sure. The furthest this should get out of the Woods's yard is to the tree that may or may not have been on the neighbor's property. I'm sure Tiger has the money to have any damage repaired and I'm equally sure if we were having a domestic argument with our spouses we would not want the world to be watching. This is their business and theirs alone

Why do we worry about these things and why are we watching Posner give his worthless two cents? It's this kind of invasive reporting that may have killed Princess Di...always wanting to know what's going on every minute of the day regardless of the right to privacy. There's plenty to watch on the news that should concern us, although it may only be in 60 second clips lest we get too concerned.

Avert your gaze. These people need to work this out without our help.

I hadn't seen Posner add his worthless two cents until scotrugby drew my attention to it. I have seen Nancy Disgrace get up on her high horse... gawd, what a bitch. "Here's a picture of my hideous kids taking a dump on our piano... isn't that adorable? Goodnight, friend." Yeesh.

I agree with you and disagree, Steve. True, I wouldn't want my dirty laundry (if I had any, of course ;-) hung up in front of the whole world, but these fucking professional athletes who pretend to be purer than the driven snow, and our national "sportsmania" in general annoy the crap out of me... which, btw, is why no one can accuse me of being full of crap.  ;D

It's hard for me to feel any sympathy at all for an asshole who's gotten incredibly rich off the misery of others.

Nike Sweatshops™—unlocking the power of poverty.
    http://www.toolness.com/nike/

Opiate for the Masses

Sports keeps people from worrying about things that matter to their lives that they might have some idea of doing something about. And in fact it’s striking to see the intelligence that’s used by ordinary people in sports [as opposed to political and social issues]. I mean, you listen to radio stations where people call in – they have the most exotic information and understanding about all kinds of arcane issues. And the press undoubtedly does a lot with this… Sports is a major factor in controlling people. Workers have minds; they have to be involved in something and it’s important to make sure they’re involved in things that have absolutely no significance. So professional sports is perfect. It instills total passivity.”  - Noam Chomsky

"It is often interesting to observe people who place importance on, and even structure their lives around, entirely inconsequential and superficial phenomena. Although this occurs extremely frequently in our society and particularly on college campuses, the most blatantly obvious example of it is this country's obsession with sports. Never in the history of humanity have so many people put so much energy and spirit into something so pointless.

Even if you consider religion to be a farce, it must at least be admitted that organized religions espouse moral values that have a positive effect on societies. Even if you recognize television as the vast wasteland that it is, there are admittedly a good number of shows that teach lessons, as well as those that educate.

But sports, which are probably more popular nowadays than either religion or TV, do not matter in any way at all. But let's get one thing straight: it is not the act of playing sports that I am criticizing (quite the contrary, as I consider some sports to be an enjoyable form of physical activity and competition); I am criticizing the act of watching others play sports, and the absurdity of building of an entire industry around this activity.

Consider it for a moment. Every weekend, millions of people gather in enormous coliseums to observe two opposing groups of men (who are opposed to one another only in the aspects of the geographical area with which they associate themselves and the animal which they use to represent their team) compete with one another according to arbitrary rules.

And here is the part that amazes me: the success or failure of the two teams actually affects people emotionally. I'm not talking about the players or coaches or owners, I'm talking about the fans. If the team which they prefer (often, but not necessarily, a team associated with their native geographical region) performs successfully, the fan will scream, jump up and down, and feel a sense of pride and accomplishment, even though they themselves have accomplished nothing and have nothing of which to be proud. If "their" team fails or performs badly, they experience genuine anger and disappointment, even though this failure produces no negative effects whatsoever; whether their team wins the Super Bowl/World Series/whatever or doesn't score a single point the entire season, the real world will go on just the same."
    http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=96946

PS: I think Diana was murdered, but that's a whole other "conspiracy theory."