Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tracking Down a Quote - LBJ
  • What is that LBJ quote...something to the effect "I'll give them their goddamn war."

Anybody have a link to this quote online/can point be to a source?

Thanks.
  • robert1robert1
    [move][move]I believe the quote is from the movie, JFK.  Not sure exactly where in the movie however.[/move][/move]
  • robert1robert1
    [move]Heinrich and others:  In Robert S. McNamara's 1996 book IN RETROSPECT, he discusses the following on page 176.  "These men were not-and their successors today are not-what they are often portrayed to be by those who simply do not know the military:  trigger-happy warmongers.  Oliver Stone's faniciful movie JFK, for example, includes a scene in which President Johnson, during the 1964 campaign, is made to say, in effect:  "Gentlemen, you give me my election and I will give you your war."  Such a scene is disgraceful. ..."  His words not mine.[/move]

• MinMMinM
    author said:

What is that LBJ quote...something to the effect "I'll give them their goddamn war."

Anybody have a link to this quote online/can point be to a source?

Thanks.

Most likely a reference to NSAM #273. Signed a few days after JFK was killed ostensibly reversing the policy laid out in NSAM #263.

BTW today is the anniversary of JFK's signing of NSAM #263; October 11, 1963.